Monday, May 05, 2008

Recent Events In My Life

Right now I am mired in grading for classes and it is only going to get worse between now and Wednesday when all my research papers are due. But, a few interesting things have happened to me recently. First in the world of electronic communication I got three interesting messages. First, I got an e-mail last Tuesday from BBC asking me if the British government knew anything about Stalin's deportation of the Crimean Tatars while the operation was occurring from 18 to 20 May 1944. I also got a request this weekend in the comments on an old blog post from a Turkish graduate student at the University of Arizona for a copy of my Ph.D. dissertation. Finally, also this weekend I got an e-mail from an old friend of mine in Sacramento that I had not heard from in over seven years. He wanted to know if I was still alive.

In the real world I got Thursday off and went with the girlfriend to Osh Bazaar to stock up on food. Food prices are rising rapidly here so we wanted to buy things like rice before they became even more expensive. Vegetables are still cheap, however.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

How very cool to be asked by BBC, what was your answer to their query? I pity you with all those papers to grade, I hope you have some good ones to read. Does your school have electronic databases that your students access? I am sure you do, that would certainly help in getting good content. Yes, the food prices keep going up all around us. Smart to go to Osh Bazaar.

J. Otto Pohl said...

I told them I did not think the British government knew about it at the time. My school has Jstor and Ebscohost, but a lot students seem to think research means plagiarism. I have caught a lot of cases this semester.