Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Return to Malaise?

Maybe I am just getting old, but it seems like there were a lot more more political leaders in the world with vision in the 1980s than there are today. Back then there was Reagan, Gorbachev, Thatcher, Mitterrand, Kohl, and Pope John Paul II. Today it seems like most world leaders are rather mediocre and lack any type of larger vision. There do not even seem to be any type of visionary opposition figures today. Back in the 1980s there was Walesa, Havel, and Mandela. Who is there today? Sometimes I think we are returning to the malaise of the 1970s. I hope I can regain my optimism about humanity once I get to Africa. Does anybody else feel there is a general lack of political leadership in the world or is it just me?

2 comments:

Farhad said...

Cant think of any reasons to disagree. Seems like vision and guts to reach for it are celebrated in fiction these days.

WR said...

They're all corporate puppets to a much greater degree than ever before, so naturally they all appear to be uniformly mediocre.