Friday, November 09, 2012

Classes are finally over

Today I taught my last class of the semester. It was historiography, a 200 level class that other lecturers in the past have found frustrating to teach. I think I did a fairly good job of restructuring the class to be thematic rather than author based and to be more Afrocentric and less Eurocentric than it has been in the past. Unfortunately, the students were not very familiar with Pan-African authors either. Nobody in the class had read Walter Rodney's How Europe Underdeveloped Africa or Frantz Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth for instance. But, at least by using more African examples I think I was able to connect better with the students.In the future this class will be moved up to 300 and hopefully by that time the students will have a better basic knowledge of some of the more notable works dealing with African history.

No comments: