Monday, July 11, 2016

On the Move Again (Kurdistan)

In September I will be starting work teaching in the Social Sciences Department of the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani. The university and surrounding city are located in Iraqi Kurdistan. The flag to the right is the Kurdish flag. I am very excited about this opportunity although I am sad to leave Ghana. But, for a variety of reasons it is time for me to move on. Interestingly enough my PhD and MA are from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) which specializes in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. I have taught in Central Asia and West Africa, and now I will be working in the Middle East. I have heard a lot of very good things about Kurdistan in general and Sulaimani in particular and I look forward to arriving there in person soon.

4 comments:

derRach said...

Wow, this is a big change in weather too! I wish you the very best in your new employment. Will you receive a position as a professor or assistant professor at least? Please tell us more when you get there?

I vaguely recall the Kurdish language is similar to the Persian language, no?

J. Otto Pohl said...

It looks like they will be appointing me as an assistant professor. Yes, the Kurdish language is related to Persian.

Withywindle said...

Best wishes.

Die alte Aechzener said...

Congrats, Otto - I hope Kurdistan is good to you & your family

- Ahuitzotl